Services & Specialty Centers
Behavioral Health Services
If you, a loved one or friend is suffering from a persistent emotional problem, we're here to help. For more than 30 years, South Nassau has been dedicated to alleviating emotional distress caused by mental illness, substance abuse, unfortunate tragedies, job and family stress and medical illness.
Led by Stanley Reddy, M.D., Chairman, Psychiatry, and Janet Kahn-Scolaro, LCSWR, Director of the Mental Health Counseling Center, our Behavioral Health Services and leadership have earned numerous awards for innovative and quality programs.
Inpatient Behavioral Health Unit
Designed to enhance the interaction between our patients, staff and their families, our inpatient Behavioral Health Unit offers:
- Comfortable patient and family waiting areas, staffed by a knowledgeable, caring guest relations professional who can answer questions, convey information and address concerns
- Beautiful Patient Space with 36 beds and 4 single rooms
- Indoor activity space
Counseling & Education
Coping with the stress caused by unfortunate tragedies, job and family situations, and medical illness can be tough. Our counseling and education services are designed to help make it a little easier with:
- Educational workshops on a wide variety of topics such as personal stress management, parenting, depression, workplace stress and women's health, as well as free screenings for depression and anxiety.
- Free support groups for those affected by bereavement, breast cancer, chronic pain, long-term loss, divorced & separated marriages, family mental illness, psychiatric illness and more.
We also offer innovative programs for families impacted by unfortunate tragedies via:
- SIBSPlace (Survivorship in Brothers and Sisters)
Brothers and sisters whose lives have been disrupted by a seriously-ill sibling or parent are turning to a unique center created to help them cope with the family disruption, and often times overwhelming stress, in their lives. SIBSPlace is a free support program of South Nassau Communities Hospital. The goal of the program is to prevent the loss of a normal childhood because of a sibling suffering with cancer or other type of devastating illness. The only program of its kind in the United States, it is available to all children ages 5-17.
SIBSPlace provides a comprehensive program of support and guided recreation in which personal needs, unexpressed feelings and confusing experiences can be addressed. A typical visit includes play, arts and crafts, psychoeducational group interaction, mentoring and tutoring. Other special activities include animal-assisted therapy and field trips to local attractions.
SIBSPlace is based in one of South Nassau's offsite locations located at 1420 Broadway in Hewlett. Program hours are Tuesday and Thursday from 3 p.m. - 8 p.m. For more information on SIBSPlace, please call or write Suzanne Kornblatt, LMSW Supervisor, SIBSPlace, 516-374-3000 or e-mail email@example.com.
Mental Health Counseling Center
Quality and effective behavioral health services tailored to meet the specific needs of the individual and their family: That's the role of our Counseling Center.
Located in Baldwin, the Center offers a wide range of outpatient services involving more than 45 professionals representing the disciplines of psychiatry, psychology, social work, nursing, marriage and family therapy and activities therapy. A variety of modalities are available including individual, group and family psychotherapy. Specialized services for depression, anxiety and childhood emotional disorders are available. Call (516) 377-5400 for further information on our:
- Adult Psychotherapy Program. Therapy is available on an individual or group basis, as well as for married couples.
- Family and Children's Program. Individual, group and family psychotherapy for children and their families.
- Behavioral Medicine Program. For patients whose medical conditions are affected by stress and their emotional concerns.
Call (516) 546-6924 to speak with a professional regarding our:
- Partial Hospitalization Program. Intensive therapy, support and medication monitoring for patients, this is an alternative to Inpatient Psychiatric Hospitalization.
- Intensive Outpatient Program. Intensive therapeutic program for patients with psychiatric symptoms who would benefit from group and/or individual therapy and medication management.
Help for a person in crisis is available 24 hours a day/seven days a week in South Nassau's Emergency Services department. A team of dedicated psychiatrists help assess whether the person poses a danger to himself and/or others, and the best course of treatment, whether it may be through our:
- Psychiatric Practice. Our team of Board Certified Psychiatrists is available for psychiatric evaluations, medication management and consultations. Call (516) 377-5400 for further information or to make an appointment.
- In-Patient Psychiatric Services. In our 36-bed short-term inpatient Behavioral Health Unit, we provide rapid stabilization for a wide range of acute psychiatric conditions. Patients receive psychiatric and psychological consultation during their hospital stay to alleviate distress and pain. For additional information, call (516) 632-3937.
The Oceanside Counseling Center provides supportive, skills-building and rehabilitative services for the treatment of alcohol and drug abuse, as well as other compulsive behaviors.
Licensed by New York State, our program offers a range of services designed for men, women and children and their families who are suffering from the debilitating consequences of addiction.
For more information, call (516) 766-6283.